Professor Janet Carter
Academic Dean, College of Science
Professor of Psychology
BA - University of Canterbury
MA - University of Canterbury
DipClinPsych - University of Canterbury
PhD - University of Otago
Room: 510 (Level 5, Psychology Staff Building)
Phone: +64 3 369 4210
Internal Phone: 94210
Department of Psychology
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Janet joined the Psychology Department in 2006 after eight years at the Department of Psychological Medicine (University of Otago) in Christchurch. Janet completed her Diploma in Clinical Psychology at the University of Canterbury and her PhD at the University of Otago. Her primary teaching interests have centred on clinical topics in adult psychopathology, in particular depression and eating disorders and psychotherapy practice, process and outcome.
PSYC 641: Advanced Psychopathology
Thesis topics currently or recently supervised
- Neuropsychological functioning in bipolar disorder.
- Factors associated with stress in parents with an infant in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- Client characteristics and therapeutic processes in motivational interviewing for alcohol dependence.
- Impact of cultural factors on body image.
- Role of age in the symptomatic expression of depression.
- Relationship between client factors and therapeutic alliance in cognitive behavioural therapy and interpersonal psychotherapy.
- Clinical topics, in particular, mood (depression and bipolar disorder) and eating disorders.
- Psychotherapy theory, practice and process, mechanisms of therapeutic change.
Clinical Programme Committee member